Saturday, June 28, 2008

for yourself? for others?


From an interview (in the NY Times) with Andrew Stanton, the creator of the new Pixar film 'Wall-E', comes this bit to chew on:

"I never think about the audience, if someone gives me a marketing report, I throw it away."

I have other quotes on creating art that are in the same vein:

"Ignore everybody."

"The best way to get approval is not to need it."

This is an appropriate time for me to meditate on the idea of creating work for yourself versus trying to aim for the approval of others. I've handed in my sketches for my current commission and am awaiting the detailed response from my editor. I am also working on writing two other stories that I hope to shop around at some point.

I firmly believe that truly innovative, original work comes from within, without trying to please anyone else. But will that put food on the table, or gas in the tank?

I guess it boils down to the risks we are willing (able?) to take, and the courage needed to believe in our own vision.

No comments: