Thursday, April 23, 2009

remembrance



Although it has been more than 25 years since my grandfather died, at times I still miss him deeply.

Albert Schmid was an artist of many talents. Landscape painter, engraver, wood carver, in the 20's he owned and ran his own commercial art studio in Chicago. During the depression the number of artists in his studio gradually declined from around 20 to just 'Papa' himself. Hard times.

He was an accomplished watercolorist. One of his buddies on weekend outdoor painting trips was the famed Haddon Sundblom of the Coca-Cola Santa Claus fame.

I remember him as a gentle, quiet, wise man. He was one of those 'Good Men'. I was in my early 20's and in art school when he died. In the course of my own life and career there has been many times I've wished him at my side to lend advice or just a understanding ear.

As a child I had so much admiration for the man he was and the things he accomplished. I still use the easel you see in the picture of him. I hope to pass it on to my daughter when the time is right.

No comments: