Friday, July 18, 2008

idle thinking


Otium cum dignitate, wrote Cicero; leisure with dignity, believing that the condition of not being insanely busy was necessary for producing art and literature.

Currently I'm insanely busy producing art and literature.

I've been given a commission to create some exploratory art for a new children's book. The revisions I'm working on for my current book are due at the same time. I'm also trying to write 2 books of my own.

Not a trace of the idle time required by that Roman fathead for making great art, so my brain has found it for me. I've been waking up at 2 in the morning for the last few nights (when my brain should be idle,) with all sorts of ideas for this latest book. Scrambling around in the dark for a pencil and paper, stubbing my toe, making noise, loving the ideas.

No comments: